Salina Turda, Turda Salt mine

Salina Turda is a salt mine located in the Durgău-Valea Sărată area of Turda, the second largest city in Cluj County, Romania. Since its opening to tourists in 1992, Salina Turda has been visited by about 2 million Romanian and foreign tourists.

Salina Turda was placed by Business Insider at the top of their list of the ten “coolest underground places in the world”. Likewise, Salina Turda was once ranked among the “25 hidden gems around the world that are worth the trek”

The first document that speaks explicitly about the existence of a salt mine in Turda dates from 1 May 1271, being issued by the Hungarian chancellery.
The Iosif Mine can be visited through the balconies carved in salt and it is located next to the Franz Josef Gallery. This mine is a conical chamber of 112 meters deep with 67 meters at the base. Because its shape and lack of communications with the other major mining points this mine has a powerful sound echo, reason why it is also called “Echoes Room”.

The octagonal room hosts a winch called “crivac” or “gepel”, rudimentary installation used for lifting salt rocks on the surface. It dates from 1881. This machine replaced another, smaller in size, that was installed in 1864. It is the only machine of this kind in all salt mines in Romania and probably in Europe that keeps in its original location.

Terezia mine: It is a conical mine (bell mine). Salt mining in this type of room left behind underground halls of impressive dimensions: 90 m height and 87 m diameter. The depth from the mouth of the shafts to the base of the mine is 112 m. A “cascade of salt”, an underground lake, stalactites and salt efflorescences complete the inert equilibrium of the giant bell. The underground lake is between 0.5 and 8 m deep and is extended on about 80% of the operating room hearth area. In the center of the lake there is an island formed from residual salt deposited here after 1880, the year when salt mining ended in this room.

Rudolf mine: Is 42 meters deep, 50 meters wide and 80 meters long, Rudolf mine is the last place where salt was exploited in Turda. Through the compartment of access, 172 steps lead to the mine hearth. On the walls of each of the 13 “floors” is marked the year when the respective level was exploited. On the north-western ceiling formed over the years salt stalactites, some even three meters long. The panoramic elevator offers tourists an overview of the whole mine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.